Sprung


Spring sprang quick.

All of a sudden, it's 80 degrees. Blooms in full swing, windows open, deck chairs dusted off. It wasn't such a tough winter but we're all more than ready, it seems.

I'm no longer capable of choosing a favorite season. I love them all equally and I look forward to each passing solstice and equinox with the same excitement (ok, except for those dreaded dog-days of heat and humidity which I could do without).

My cheese creations always reflect the seasons as much as possible. And this year our garden is really starting to kick in and provide a bounty of blooms to play with. Spring cheese boards have been adorned with early sprouting fennel fronds, tender leaves of blood sorrel and baby kale, and the abundant back yard lilac blooms. This week, I'm hoping for the first rhubarb harvest. And coming soon, there will be ferns and elderflowers and peonies and my all-time favorite, poppies! I can't wait.

If you haven't done so already, get out to see and smell some blooms. Lakeview Cemetery in Cleveland Heights is a great spot for petal peeping this time of year. Just remember your kleenex. What none of these photos reveal, thank goodness, is my drippy nose. But it's a small price to pay for such a beautiful and fleeting season.

I'm booking events for May, June and even July! If you'd like me to create a seasonal cheese board for your upcoming get-together, let me know and we'll get it on the calendar!

So, happy spring!

To kick it off right, I dug into the archives to find a few of my favorite rhubarb recipes... enjoy!

Rhubarbaritas!
Rhubarb-Cardamom Compote
Rhubarb Polenta Cake