A Rhubarb-Cardamom Compote for Spring







































It's that time of year when it seems like spring has arrived everywhere but here in Northeast Ohio. We've been enduring months of glossy magazine covers, Instagrams, pins, and posts featuring spring's fresh blossoms and bounty while we've patiently watched the snow melt, longing for  warmer, sunnier days and the greening of our local landscape.

The calendar says it's spring, but only last week did my rhubarb decide to poke it's curly pink leaves out of the ground and it will be at least a few more weeks before I can harvest any.

So, I did it. I cheated on my rhubarb. I broke down and bought a few bright pink stalks at the supermarket. I just couldn't resist or wait any longer.

Lately, I've been whipping up simple fruit compotes to pair with the locally-made cheeses I sell. To my supermarket rhubarb, I added a few freshly-crushed cardamom seeds and made one of the tastiest yet. I served it last week as an accompaniment to Lake Erie Creamery's fresh lemon chèvre and, wow! The rhubarb offers a tangy, sour compliment to the sweet, dense creaminess of the cheese. I served it with my FarmCrisp cocoa crackers and it was delicious.

Several folks asked me to post the compote recipe (if you can call it that). It's terrifically simple and can be adapted a million ways. Don't care for cardamom? Try adding cinnamon or ginger instead. Depending on my mood or the season, I've also spiked rhubarb compotes with orange zest, coconut, vanilla, rosemary, and anise. Have fun experimenting with your favorite flavors. Or, add nothing at all and just enjoy that first, refreshing flavor of spring.


Rhubarb-Cardamom Compote

4 large stalks of rhubarb, chopped into half-inch pieces
1/3 cup sugar, honey or maple syrup (slightly more if you prefer a sweeter compote)
5-10 cardamom green cardamom pods, crushed and seeds removed*
2-3 tbsp water

Add the rhubarb, sugar (honey or maple syrup), cardamom and water to a small sauce pan.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently until the rhubarb has fallen apart and reaches a thick, sauce-like consistency.

Simmer 10-15 minutes longer allowing the cardamom to infuse the sauce. Adjust the sweetness by adding a little more sugar if you prefer.

Serve the compote as-is if you like the texture of the rhubarb or puree if you prefer a smoother consistency.

Enjoy rhubarb compote with your favorite cheese, alongside a slice of pound cake, atop your morning yogurt, or layered with whipped cream for a delightful dessert called Rhubarb Fool.

*Green cardamom pods can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets. I also purchase them locally from Spicehound. Pre-ground cardamom is fine too but doesn't pack nearly as much flavor as freshly crushed pods. So, take a few extra minutes to crush your own. I use the back side of a chef's knife to smash the pod and then carefully pick out the seeds, discarding the tough shells.