Just Being Neighborly


An extra few extra ears of sweet corn, a second basket of tomatoes, two pounds of green beans instead of one, and an assortment of adorable, baby zucchini. These were among the extra items I added to my already-overflowing market basket at this morning's weekly trip to my local farmers'  market.

I had bumped into an elderly neighbor of mine earlier this week and our conversation, as usual, turned to food -- fresh produce in particular. As she lamented the sub-standard, supermarket sweet corn and tomatoes she's had to endure all summer, I remembered that she doesn't drive doesn't enjoy the luxury of just hopping over to the market like so many of us can. I see this woman two or three days a week, but I had completely forgotten. So, instead of offering my usual "try the farmers market" response, I asked if could pick up a few things for her when I went on my normal Saturday morning market rounds. 

We local food advocates are constantly encouraging everyone we meet to support a local farmer or their community farmers market. But it's all too easy to forget that there are many among us who simply can't eat this way. We're quick to assume that this is due to financial or time constraints. But sometimes, maybe more often than not, it's simply logistics.

So, what if we all just acted a bit more neighborly and remembered to ask folks if there's something we could fetch for them while we're at the market? Since this week is National Farmers' Market Week, it's the perfect time to make this a new habit. It doesn't require any extra time or burden, just a moment of reflection about who might need a little help or really enjoy some of this beautiful harvest that's upon us now.

My neighbor's face lit up when I delivered this little basket of sunshine to her this afternoon. But it made my day even brighter.