In Deep Blue



"I'm in deep blue over here!"

These were the words uttered by my friend Paula as we picked our way along the tall rows of blueberries at Wintergreen Tree Farm earlier this week.

Deep blue indeed! In just an hour and a half we managed to harvest over 20 pounds of blueberries between us. Plump, gorgeous, full-flavored berries of several different varieties ranging from slightly sour (the ones I prefer for baking) to sweeter varieties best suited to eating right out of the picking bucket. I've happily been deep in blue most of the week, nibbling on berries, freezing some for later use, and putting up a few jars of my favorite blueberry compote.

I also whipped up another batch of my mom's wonderful Blueberry Scones. Of course, they're excellent for breakfast but these scones also do double duty as wonderful little shortcakes. Just slice in half, top with Blueberry Lavender Compote and a dollop of ice cream or freshly whipped cream. A perfect, summer dessert from your breakfast leftovers.