BLUEBERRIES

It's blueberry season. Don't delay, get out and pick your own while the weather is cool and breezy.

That's exactly what I did yesterday. I've been anxiously awaiting a break in the heat so I could go blueberry picking at one of my favorite spots, Greenfield Berry Farm in Peninsula.


My quick, mid-week picking session yielded about a half-dozen pints of plump, juicy berries that inspired this morning's kitchen adventures.

First up, is a batch of Blueberry Butter. I spied this recipe on my friend Kelly Hanley's beautiful blog and I couldn't wait to try it. (Kelly has recently launched a new business called The Agrarian Collective, offering classes in the "forgotten" skills of the kitchen, garden and home. Check her website for a schedule of upcoming courses on everything from strawberry jam-making and preserving to lessons in a Japanese hand-dyeing technique called Shibori and much more.)

While the Blueberry Butter is simmering away, it's time for a quick and simple batch of Blueberry Lavender Compote, a recipe I make every summer as soon as the blueberries are in season.

Then a quick loaf of Blueberry Lemon Banana Bread (to use up all the bananas that ripened way too quickly during last week's heatwave). For quick batches like this one, I always rely on my mom's tried and true banana bread recipe that never fails, even when I get creative with my local and seasonal ingredients like fresh blueberries.

If I have any blueberries left over from today's cooking spree, they'll go into the freezer -- it's the easiest way I've found to preserve summer's bounty of blueberries. I place the berries on baking sheets and put them in the freezer. When they're frozen I pop them into Ziplok freezer bags. Come January, I'll be able to reach in my freezer and grab a handful of summer to brighten up those winter pancakes or that dull cup of yogurt.

The aromas of blueberries and lemon wafting through my kitchen right now are downright mouthwatering. Once things are done here, I think I may just have to head out and pick some more.


Greenfield Berry Farm 
2485 Major Road in Peninsula, Ohio
Call 330.657.2924 or visit their website for the most up to date berry availability and picking hours.


Blueberry-Lavender Compote
Makes 1 1/2 cups

I discovered this recipe years ago in Deborah Madison's book, Local Flavors. It's become a summer staple at my house because when the weather is hot, it's one of the quickest and tastiest desserts I know. The berries are just barely cooked with fresh lemon, lavender from my garden, and a little sugar to produce an irresistible topping for rich, vanilla ice cream, a slice of lemon pound cake or blueberry banana bread (recipe below).

1 pint of blueberries
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp corn starch
1/4 cup sugar or honey
pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp lavender blossoms

Pick over the berries, removing any stems, leaves, or over-ripe berries and rinse.

In a medium-sized sauce pan large enough to accommodate the berries, mix lemon juice and corn starch, sugar, and salt. Add the berries and lavender and cook over medium heat until the berries yield a little juice and the liquid thickens a bit. This should only take a few minutes.

I like to serve this compote over big scoops of vanilla ice cream or as a topping for pound cake. It also makes a delicious mix-in for plain yogurt.

Mom's Banana Bread (with Fresh Blueberries)
Makes 1 loaf

2 1/2 cups flour (I've also used half whole-wheat or half corn flour*)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1 cup banana, mashed
2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 9x5x3 loaf pan.

Sift the flour with baking powder and salt into a medium sized bowl and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer or wooden spoon, beat the sugar, butter, and egg until smooth. Add bananas, lemon zest, and milk and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes until top is golden brown.


*Certified organic whole wheat and corn flour is locally milled by the folks at Breakneck Acres in Ravenna.