And the Beet Goes On


Beets might just be my new favorite vegetable.

It's taken a while, I must admit. I grew up with those jarred, pickled beets and never really liked them much. It wasn't until my mid-thirties that I tasted a fresh, properly-roasted beet. And I never knew what I was missing out on. So, I've spent the past few years developing my appreciation for the beet.

First, I needed to get over that all-too-common habit of neglecting beets. Since they keep like, forever, many of us ignore them in favor of fresher, perkier, quick-cooking vegetables. The so-called lengthy cooking time, the fear of stains -- oh the excuses we can  come up with to let those beets languish in the far reaches of the fridge. In reality, what could be easier than boiling or baking up a few beets in a pot of water or a 350F oven? Ok, it requires a little bit of planning ahead but it's certainly not difficult. As for the stains? Don't peel beets until after they've cooked, then their skins will slip right off and won't stain your fingers. Unless you really love pink polka dots though, you do have to take care not to stain clothing or dishtowels. But hey, it's an opportunity to wear that cute apron your sister-in-law made you for Christmas last year!

This summer, the beet has officially become a favorite (as you can tell by the more frequent beet-oriented posts). I'm even thinking about revisiting those pickled beets I despised so much as a child. Perhaps I'll even pickle my own.

Maybe you have to reach a certain state of maturity to truly adore the earthy beauty and flavor of the beet. I don't know. But a simple root that can be pulled from the ground sporting such a gorgeous hue and loaded with this much flavor and nutrition should be loved by all.  My only regret is that it took me so long.

In this recipe, beets team up with potatoes to make for some satisfying, seasonal eating.



Beet & Potato Gratin with Gruyère and Thyme


This dish can be prepared family style in a baking dish or in individual ramekins for a bit fancier presentation.

Serves 4

Unsalted butter
2 medium-sized red beets, raw & peeled
2-3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled
Extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, finely grated
1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
Ground nutmeg
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper 

1 cup cream

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Butter 4 ramekins or a baking dish. 



Thinly slice beets and potatoes, about 1/4 inch in thickness. 


Arrange a layer of sliced beets and potatoes in each ramekin or baking dish. Lightly brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with cheese, a little thyme and a pinch of nutmeg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 


Repeat layering process until ramekins are full, pressing down lightly. 


Pour the cream over and bake in oven until bubbling, cheese is golden and beets are tender, about 45 minutes. 


Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs and serve warm.